Sunday, April 17, 2011

Manila - a Spanish outpost in Asia?!

I didn't really know what to expect when I went to Manila. Had heard a lot of stories about it from friends - good and bad. So will try and give you a brief of my brief visit there.

  • Manila is the capital city of the Phillipines. The Phillipines has 1000s of islands and is a treasure waiting to be discovered.
  • Manila is located on the eastern shores of Manila Bay. The sunsets are priceless and not to be missed.
  • It is a very crowded city and reminds one of Bombay. However, unlike Bombay, it is quite clean.
  • It is a melting pot of many cultures as the Phillipines were "settled" by various other nations - China, Spain, British and of course America.
  • You can see the foreign influences in the people, their food and of course the architecture.
  • Intramuros is the ancient walled city. Very Spanish and historical.
  • 90% of the population is Catholic and they are very religious. Reminded me of Goa.
  • The people are quite docile, friendly and accommodating and every ready to help you. I was warned about pickpockets but during the time I was there, I did not have a single bad experience.
  • The society is very matriarchal and women play a very important role. I was told so many times by strangers that I was beautiful and could pass as a Filipina. Did wonders for my ego!
  • The women are gorgeous. I guess Western men prefer to marry them and on some websites you even have a section - Dating a Filipina!!
  • There are plenty of malls for shopping and food. Some of the better known ones are - The Mall of Asia (which is huge), the Green Belt Park, the Powerplant.
  • The best part is that the rupee is equivalent to the Peso. So you can shop till you drop! Furniture, furnishings and decorative items are what I would recommend one buys.
  • Taxis are pretty cheap in Manila. I didn't get the opportunity to travel by their metro. In the suburbs you can also travel by tricycles.
  • However the ubiquitous jeepneys are the most interesting form of transport. They are brightly coloured and painted with biblical scenes and packed with at least 20 locals. I have to go back to Manila just to ride in one of them.
  • The official language is Tagalog.
  • Remember, this is one of the few countries that still have departure tax. So keep some money for the airport. 
  • San Agustine Church
    I love these altars. Reminds me of Goa.
    Ornate chariots for religious processions.
    The inner courtyard which is so typical of Spanish Monastries.
    The Parliament Building.
    Manila Cathedral
    The beautiful carved doors with biblical scenes
    The beautiful stained glass.
    Imelda Marcos took an interest in preserving the old buildings.
    Best way to view Intramuros. My guide/driver wants to be a policeman someday.
    Currently already married with 2 children!
    The colourful Jeepney.
    Fort Santiago
    The arch at the entrance to the fort.
    View of Manila city skyline from Fort Santiago.
    At the museum of culture, a replica of a traditional house.
    The clock tower.
    The National Museum
    The calming view of the sea.
    Another view of the Manila skyline
    Interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do hope you have enjoyed what I have shared and will take the time to write back to me. I would really like to hear your thoughts, views, opinions about my blog posts. Sharing is caring. :)