Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Cologne, Germany (Part 2)

It snowed the rest of the weekend. As already mentioned earlier, it was my first experience in snow and boy, was I thrilled! I must have been the only person in Germany who was excited while the rest were cribbing about train delays, the slush and muck and all the chaos due to the weather. As for my first snowflake, I think it was an incredible experience to actually see the tiny thing in real life as a miniature of all its representations I had seen before.
Anyway, on Saturday, we decided to see the Schloss at Bruhl which is near Cologne. The Schloss, unknown to us, was closed to public in the months of Dec and Jan but it was still wonderful walking around the grounds. The gardens, which I am sure during the summer months are spectacular, were frozen under the snow and everything was really stark and pretty.




After wandering around, we ended up checking out the Christmas market behind the Schloss.


We ate some amazing currywurst.................


Then we returned to Cologne and could not help taking some more pictures of the awesome Cathedral......


We decided to visit the Ludwig museum - one of the top museums in Cologne. Its main focus is on pop art alongwith a collection of Picassos. However I found the museum over rated and neither Chi Mee nor I got the pop art message.

We ended the day at yet another Christmas Market.........


On Sunday, Chi Mee decided to take me to Konigswinter in the Drachenfels which is a mountain range nearby. It has a narrow gauge train that takes you up the mountain from where one can have an extensive view of Cologne. The view was spectacular but it was freezing cold (-16C).




Halfway up there is a castle - Schloss Drachenberg - where there was an exhibition of various nativity scenes.




We ended the day by visiting a medieval Christmas Market...........which was unique. People were dressed in medieval costumes and items being sold in the stalls had a medieval touch to it. All currency for goods being sold were also displayed in medieval currency rather than Euros! And to top it all, the merry-go-round for kids had a medieval touch with wooden horses and oak casks as tubs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do hope you have enjoyed what I have shared and will take the time to write back to me. I would really like to hear your thoughts, views, opinions about my blog posts. Sharing is caring. :)