Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Essen – the economic powerhouse in Germany

My friend Chi Mee recommended that I visit Essen and in particular the Zollverein coal mine which is not only a UNESCO world heritage site but also touted as the “world’s prettiest coal mine”. This got me intrigued and so I had to satisfy my curiosity.

I hopped onto a train and then a tram and reached the mine which was nothing like I had imagined it would be. I expected it to be open and dusty and underground but it was all above ground and covered and neat. It was spread over a huge area and is divided into 3 sections – the main mine, the coking section and Shaft 1/2/8.







It also has a museum with permanent and temporary exhibits ranging from the history of coal mining to the industrialization and development of modern day Germany. Another museum has a panorama movie theatre which had an interesting seating layout (360 degree swivel chairs) and a film which was very absorbing. It is essential to buy a ticket to this museum as it gives you access to the terrace from where you can see and appreciate the entire mining complex from above.

The Red Dot Design Museum is also located on the premises. It houses the largest exhibit of contemporary design in the setting of an old coal mine. Very interesting to see how each object is displayed.










No comments:

Post a Comment

I do hope you have enjoyed what I have shared and will take the time to write back to me. I would really like to hear your thoughts, views, opinions about my blog posts. Sharing is caring. :)