Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Koblenz – BUGA 2011 – The Horticultural Show

Koblenz makes a great day trip from Cologne. It is a major rail junction so there are frequent trains and is easy to get to from Cologne.

As with all German towns, this too had a palace which was the entrance to the horticultural show. BUGA or Bundesgartenschau as it is called, is a prestigious event for this region as the horticultural show is held once in 2 years and luckily for me it was being held near Cologne.

The show was held across 48 hectares at the Electoral Palace, the Ehrenbreitstein fortress and the Blumenhof courtyard. I wandered along the various flower beds – rhododendron, tulips, giant poppies and others that I came across for the first time. There was a lovely walk along the river to the cable car where one then boarded to make the journey across the Rhine river to the Ehrenbreitstein fortress on the hill. The views of the town, the Rhine and the Moselle from the top of the fortress were breathtaking. I had lunch at one of the cafes before heading back to the German corner.

The German corner or Deutsches Eck is situated at the confluence of the Rhine and the Moselle and has been called the "Most beautiful corner of Germany". There is a huge statue of Emperor William I on horseback which dominates the corner and is the ideal setting for a relaxed evening where you can easily watch the world and river traffic go by.

The continuation of the show at St. Castor's Church was impressive. Never did find out the significance of the hat, coat and shoes kept on every pew!! But I loved the tree made of eggshells and the simple décor of the interiors.

All in all, Koblenz is a pretty town hosting a mega event that will continue to draw visitors over the next few months.

The Electoral Palace

The beautiful colourful flowers

For the first time, the palace was open to the public.

Interesting

Another view of the impressive palace.

The view along the river.

The other face of the impressive palace

Colourful BUGA 2011

God's creation is inimitable!

The view of the river and city from the fortress

The German corner and the confluence of the Rhine and the Moselle

St Castor's Church


The German corner and the statue of Emperor William I


I love the colours.

Another view of the German corner from the cable car.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do hope you have enjoyed what I have shared and will take the time to write back to me. I would really like to hear your thoughts, views, opinions about my blog posts. Sharing is caring. :)