Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Oslo-Bergen rail journey

The Oslo-Bergen rail journey is listed in the top 10 rail journeys of the world. It takes around 7 hours from start to finish but it is time well spent. I joined in at Myrdal which connects the Oslo-Bergen line to the Sognefjord through the Flam railway.

The train journey is at a high altitude and the highest point is Finse at 1222 meters above sea level. Throughout the journey you can see nature at its best.

One of the greatest challenges for the Bergen Line is the harsh and changeable weather. The line is exposed to deep low-pressure centers from the west, which can mean strong winds and heavy snow for part of the year. Keeping the railway open demands great effort and technical expertise. Skilled workers, effective equipment, tunnels and snow tunnels currently make the Bergen Line one of the safest and most comfortable ways of traveling between Oslo and Bergen.









No comments:

Post a Comment

I do hope you have enjoyed what I have shared and will take the time to write back to me. I would really like to hear your thoughts, views, opinions about my blog posts. Sharing is caring. :)