Monday, August 15, 2011

A day to appreciate freedom



Today is India's 64th Independence Day. Whilst the country is going through a lot of turmoil and angst due to the various scandals unfolding, I believe we have much to be grateful for.

  • First of all, we are a democratic nation. I truly appreciate this fact after having visited many countries around the world. We are allowed to express ourselves and in general, most Indians are peaceful.
  • We take our freedom for granted! Freedom of speech, freedom to walk around town, freedom to worship, freedom to vote, freedom to think, etc. Think China, the Middle East, even South Africa and when compared, India is far ahead.
  • We have the freedom to be anyone we want to be. This is truly the land of opportunity and it is up to us.
  • In addition, I am truly grateful that I am born in the family that I am born in. They are not perfect but at least there is no discrimination between males and females. I have been given a level and equal playing field. There are so many countries in the world where women do not have a voice, where women are treated as second class citizens or not at all and where women are married off before they can think for themselves.
  •  And then, of course the people I am surrounded with...............my boss is great. He truly brings out the best in me. And my colleagues and friends are very supportive.
So whilst we can be cynical and tend to focus on the negatives, I prefer to focus on the positives and am sure we will have more to be thankful for in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do hope you have enjoyed what I have shared and will take the time to write back to me. I would really like to hear your thoughts, views, opinions about my blog posts. Sharing is caring. :)