Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The first ever Indian Grand Prix

There was a lot of excitement to the run up of the first ever Indian Grand Prix. First there were news reports about the track not being ready in time and then there were reports about Bernie Ecclestone giving a go ahead for the circuit. No one really knew the truth till one got there. I think most people went out of curiosity rather than for the love of the sport.

In any case, the Buddh International Circuit has opened with a lot of fanfare and has been very well received by both the drivers and the spectators. The race track has been designed by famed designer Hermann Tilke who I met at VJM's place some years ago. The high speed layout and the challenging corner combinations make the track a high octane one for the drivers.

The circuit

One of the most notable sections of the circuit is the multi-apex turn 10–11–12 sequence. It has been likened to the long, fast Turn 8 at Turkey’s Istanbul Park circuit and is expected to generate high tyre loadings. Unlike Turkey’s Turn 8, it tightens on exit and is a clockwise right-hander. It is anticipated to be one of the main overtaking points, and circuit’s main straight, at 1060m, is among the longest in F1. The pitlane is also one of the longest in F1, at more than 600 metres.
Source: Wikipedia

Personally, I was not planning on attending the race. However during my trip to Agra, a few days before the race, I met Sebastian Vettel there. It was a sign that I needed to be part of the excitement and as luck would have it, I managed to get passes for both the qualifying race as well as the main race.

With Seb Vettel at the Taj

I was super impressed by the infrastructure to and at the circuit. The roads, highways and expressways were absolutely great and comparable with the best in the world. The entire Buddh International Circuit area including the track is also world class. It emphasises the point that it is possible to deliver a world class product in India.

It was also a very emotional moment to hear the national anthem being played before the race. Never thought I would hear that. Am sure my boss would have been very very proud, emotional and happy as he was very involved in getting Formula 1 to India.

Force India is the only Indian team on the grid

I was not too taken by the BIC anthem as I did not think it was catchy or inspiring. Nevertheless, it was exciting to be there and experience the first ever race in India. The sound of the cars and the enthusiasm of the crowd more than made up for the heat and dust. However, my personal view is that if one is not in Paddock Club, then one should watch the race from the comfort of home. :)

The driver's parade.
Before the race starts, the drivers do a round of the race track in vintage cars and wave to their fans.

The start of the race................Seb Vettel in the front

and continues to be in the front.........the end of the race.

The winner takes it all.

And finally I was happy that Sebastian Vettel, the World Champion was the winner - apt and fitting. 

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I do hope you have enjoyed what I have shared and will take the time to write back to me. I would really like to hear your thoughts, views, opinions about my blog posts. Sharing is caring. :)