Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Bonn – the former capital of West Germany

Bonn used to be the seat of power when it was the capital of West Germany. Today it has reduced in significance but still has its own charm. It is now more of a university town with a lot of young population.

I walked around the city, taking in the famous Rathaus or Town Hall whose balcony is the most photographed with visiting foreign dignitaries on state visits.

The Rathaus
Bonn is also the birthplace of Beethoven.

The Electoral Prince's castle or Schloss is now the home of the University of Bonn.

On the outskirts of Bonn is Petersberg which was the seat of the Allied High Commission for Germany. It was also the venue for many important conferences like the EU conference of foreign ministers and has been the guesthouse of Federal Government. It has great views of the river and Bonn city.






To get there, I would recommend you take the car ferry across the river as that was the mode of the transport used by Adenaur (the first Chancellor of Germany) to and from work.






No comments:

Post a Comment

I do hope you have enjoyed what I have shared and will take the time to write back to me. I would really like to hear your thoughts, views, opinions about my blog posts. Sharing is caring. :)