Sunday, September 11, 2011

Maldives - the pearl of the Indian Ocean

What can one say when one is asked to make a business trip to the Maldives? I was excited yet a bit annoyed as I had made alternate plans to go elsewhere. Nevertheless as is my nature, I tried to make the best of the situation and I can honestly say that I had a great time.

As you approach the Airport Island, you notice that besides the functional buildings related to the airport, there is nothing else on it. You also notice that the water is a distinct blue and blue being my favourite colour, made me feel immensely better about the trip. Once you land, you realise that what you saw from the air is exactly what it is on land. Nothing but the airport terminals and related infrastructure. Then you notice the jetty with the various boats and speedboats and people heading towards them. Well, the Maldives has a very simple concept - 1 island, 1 resort and in addition there is Male, the capital, on its own island and the airport on its own.

The Maldives is made up of about 1200 coral islands formed around 26 natural ring-like atolls and spread over 90000 kms. What strikes you most is the colour of the water - it is very blue, the reefs are turquoise and the beaches are sandy white. All this coupled with the beautiful sunny skies and balmy breezes makes for a very relaxing time.

After my meetings on the airport island, I headed to the Kurumba resort which is 15 mins away by speedboat. My room was absolutely gorgeous and it opened out onto the beach. I took advantage of the little spare time I had to relax on the beach chairs and dream away. If I had more time, I would have taken up the activities on offer at the resort - snorkelling, exploring the reefs around the resort, jet skiing, etc. But since I had a couple of hours before my dinner meeting, I just lazed on the beach chair enjoying the soothing breeze, the calming sound of the waves and the quiet solitude.

Even though it was a business trip, I managed to make the most of the time I had there and came away destressed and happy.


The speedboats that ferry you to the island resorts.

Kurumba

My stretch of the beach.


A romantic dinner would be lovely.


I love the interiors of the resort.


Absolutely serene.

Even in the day, it is romantic.

The harbour in Male.

The Male skyline.





1 comment:

I do hope you have enjoyed what I have shared and will take the time to write back to me. I would really like to hear your thoughts, views, opinions about my blog posts. Sharing is caring. :)