Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Swedish Glogg

Last year whilst in Sweden we were treated to glogg and gingerbread. It is a Christmas tradition with the Swedes where they invite close friends and family over to meet over mulled red wine.
Mulled wine is a beverage usually made with red wine along with various spices and raisins. It is served hot or warm and may be alcoholic or non-alcoholic. It is a traditional drink during winter, especially around Christmas and Halloween. Port and claret are traditional choices for mulled wine. (Wikipedia)

I have had mulled wine – Gluhwein - before in Germany at the Christmas markets. However the difference with the Swedish one is that you add blanched almonds and raisins into it making it a very delicious drink. Matteus, who had invited us over, explained the tradition and was very patient when his little kids started munching on the almonds and raisins.

This year, the Swedish Consul General has invited me to her pre Christmas celebration and I am looking forward to raising a toast with my glass of delicious mulled wine.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I do hope you have enjoyed what I have shared and will take the time to write back to me. I would really like to hear your thoughts, views, opinions about my blog posts. Sharing is caring. :)