Thursday, December 3, 2009

Grandma

My grandma turned 87 years today!

She is a sweet little lady who is still active. She is quite independent and does a bit of cooking, reads the newspapers and goes once a week for Mass (though she has to be helped across the road). She is beginning to lose her memory and it makes me very sad. We of course have to be patient with her and remind ourselves that one day we will be in exactly the state she is in, if not worse.



She loves me dearly and I am her favourite grandchild as I am the oldest. Everyday she looks forward to my returning from work and immediately is concerned about my dinner and if I had a tough day, etc. In the picture above, I finally managed to get her to smile! She very rarely smiles for photographs because she is afraid that others will see her false teeth!! Oh she is so cute.

I have many happy memories of her..........
- making the best coconut cake.
- always taking my side even if I probably was in the wrong.
- sewing beautiful dresses for my sister and me when we were children.
- looking after us when my mum dropped us off at her place for the weekend or the holidays.

I am grateful to be able to spend the time I have with her.


2 comments:

  1. their times with us
    truly spent and gone
    we look at wisdom-hair
    experience borne

    when the bird flies
    girls squeal and play
    grandmas are born again
    little bundles in grey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. This is a sweet poem.

    ReplyDelete

I do hope you have enjoyed what I have shared and will take the time to write back to me. I would really like to hear your thoughts, views, opinions about my blog posts. Sharing is caring. :)