Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Ludwig's Castles - Part 2 - Neuschwanstein Castle



Neuschwanstein Castle was built by Ludwig in honour of Richard Wagner. It is a 19th-century Romanesque Revival palace on a rugged hill above the village of Hohenschwangau near Füssen in southwest Bavaria, Germany. It was never completed during Ludwig's lifetime; infact he ran out of money. However today it is Bavaria's top tourist attraction. The palace has appeared prominently in several movies and was the inspiration for Disneyland's Sleeping Beauty Castle.

The setting of the castle is indeed gorgeous.
It is my intention to rebuild the old castle ruin of Hohenschwangau near the Pöllat Gorge in the authentic style of the old German knights' castles, and I must confess to you that I am looking forward very much to living there one day [...]; you know the revered guest I would like to accommodate there; the location is one of the most beautiful to be found, holy and unapproachable, a worthy temple for the divine friend who has brought salvation and true blessing to the world. It will also remind you of "Tannhäuser" (Singers' Hall with a view of the castle in the background), "Lohengrin'" (castle courtyard, open corridor, path to the chapel) [...].

– Ludwig II, Letter to Richard Wagner, May 1868

As with his other palaces, this one was beautifully decorated even if quite gaudy in some places. His obsession with swans continues..........there is a room with more than a 1000 swans on the walls and including in the shape of door knobs. He even had an artificial grotto attached to his study.
 
 
First glimpse of Neuschwanstein Castle.











A Glimpse of Hohenschwangau Castle - the 3rd of Ludwig's castles in the region.




2 comments:

  1. I am positively dying to see this place. It's on my list and everything. Your photos are beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Carrie. The castle is truly fairytale like.

    ReplyDelete

I do hope you have enjoyed what I have shared and will take the time to write back to me. I would really like to hear your thoughts, views, opinions about my blog posts. Sharing is caring. :)