Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Driving in Bombay

I learnt to drive 3 years ago. Though of course, like most Indians, I have possessed a driving licence for the last 14 years!!! Today, driving back in heavy traffic coupled with unseasonal rainstorms, I was thinking about my learning experience in the skill of driving.

When I used to teach Human Factors, we did a topic on the various stages of learning and the conscious competence learning model. I thought it very relevant when I was reminiscing on my "learning to drive" experience.

The first stage in learning any skill is "Unconscious Incompetence".  The person is not aware of the existence or relevance of the skill area. It was in this stage that I took upon myself to learn the all important skill of driving a car. :) And just so that it would not remain a "paper licence", I actually bought a car so that I could practice this skill and improve on it.

The second stage is "Conscious Incompetence". The person becomes aware of the existence and relevance of the skill. This is the funny part. I would get so stressed out, trying to concentrate on driving on the Bombay roads what with cattle and people sharing the road space, autorickshaws driving like maniacs and trying to avoid the many potholes. This stress would be magnified during the monsoons when other automobiles failed to switch on their headlights in poor visibility conditions. Poor me, I would refuse to even have a conversation with my fellow passengers if I was driving!!

The third stage is "Conscious Competence". The person achieves this when they can perform it reliably at will and can perform it without assistance. So after making the effort of driving daily to work, I slowly became proficient. However I still worried when parking, getting stuck in traffic on slopes, reversing and of course night driving in heavy rain.

The fourth stage is "Unconscious Competence". The skill becomes so practised that it enters the unconscious parts of the brain - it becomes 'second nature'. Now I have reached a stage where I can drive quite comfortably, whilst negotiating the traffic, listening to music as well as having a conversation and all the time avoiding the cattle, people, potholes and the mad autorickshaw drivers! I even drove from Bombay to Pune on the Expressway!

I truly enjoy driving and I wonder why I did not take it up sooner. Just one of those things where the stumbling blocks are in the mind and if you truly wish, you can overcome.

1 comment:

  1. i like this psot of yours, gives me hope and strength as I am currently in the 1st stage of learning to practise this skill.

    ReplyDelete

I do hope you have enjoyed what I have shared and will take the time to write back to me. I would really like to hear your thoughts, views, opinions about my blog posts. Sharing is caring. :)