Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Dubai - Desert Safari and the Air Show

Just returned from a quick trip to Dubai. I had been to Delhi for the India-Netherlands bilateral negotiations last week and decided to proceed to Dubai for the weekend so that I could attend the Air Show which is held once every 2 years.

I almost did not make the flight as it was absolutely full. But managed to get on at the last moment! Anyway, as usual the flight was delayed and so got into Dubai at 3 am. Now, this trip to Dubai was after 9 years and for the first time did not have my uncle Angelo pick me up from the airport. So I had to figure out the visa process myself. Apparently, even if you have a paper visa, you need to get an eye scan done before you get to the immigration counters. Thank goodness they had a special line for ladies, cos at 3 am I definitely did not want to waste any more time getting to bed!!

After collecting my bags, got to the taxi queue. Now in DXB, there are different rates for big taxis and small ones and ladie's taxis, etc. So be sure to take a small taxi. Finally was in my bed at the Novotel by 4 am.

I had planned to go on a seaplane ride over Dubai in the morning but unfortunately, all charter flights were cancelled due to the air show. So instead, had a leisurely breakfast and then walked across to the Deira City Centre Mall which was right opposite the hotel. Dubai is truly an artificial city where the highlight of one's day is visiting the Malls!! Looked around but did not find anything spectacular to buy. So just got done with my usual chocolate shopping.

Then went to the Meridien village and had lunch with a dear friend of mine. The soup of the day was cauliflower soup (but it was okay). Got back to the hotel and rested for a while. And then was picked up at 1530 hrs for the desert safari.

Oh, the desert safari is definitely a "must-do" on anyone's list. I had a great time and made some cool friends with a French group. There was an hour of dune bashing in a 4 wheel drive. One of the French girls, Raima, fell car sick and we had to stop a couple of times so that she could recover. Anyway it was truly adrenaline pumping and our driver Sheroo (of course an Indian!) was excellent. He actually trains other people to "dune bash".

































Then we took some amazing pics of the sunset.



We went to a campsite for dinner and entertainment. There was a delicious buffet and BBQ. There were also other activities like henna tattoos (like the one below), sheesha and belly dancing. Overall, we had a great time.































The next day, I went to the Air Show. Met some friends of mine (Wendy and Sarah) and walked around the various aircraft displays - general aviation as well as military. Finally watched some amazing aerial acrobatics.


































The trip was short and sweet and thoroughly exciting.

3 comments:

  1. Desert Safari Dubai is the one of best place for trip.I LIKE IT VERY MUCH.
    Abu dhabi tourism

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many beautiful places out there in Dubai but i specially like DESERT SAFARI IN DUBAI its a amazing place for the trip.

    ReplyDelete

I do hope you have enjoyed what I have shared and will take the time to write back to me. I would really like to hear your thoughts, views, opinions about my blog posts. Sharing is caring. :)